Psynomics offers a state-of-the-art expert diagnostic evaluation that includes the following:
- Upon completion of the online registration
process and payment by credit card, a saliva collection kit is
mailed to the individual. Upon
completion of the simple saliva “spit” collection,
the kit is returned via mail. All mailing materials are provided
and all postage is fully prepaid by Psynomics. DNA is prepared
from this and the patient is tested for genetic variants. Presently,
testing includes two genes:
- G protein receptor kinase 3 (GRK3) – Two
variants in this gene are tested. These variants have been
shown to be present 200% - 300% more often in patients with
bipolar disorder than normal controls.
- Serotonin transporter – This gene
is the site of action of SSRI antidepressants and indicates
a 200% greater rate of response to SSRI medications. It also
is associated with a greater risk of antidepressant induced
mania in bipolar disorder.
- Our Psynome™ DNA
test currently includes two genes. These are two of
the best validated gene associations in psychiatry. We plan
to add many additional genes to the test panel in order to
include all genes shown to be associated with psychiatric diagnoses
and treatment response. As more genes are identified
and added, the Psynome DNA test will become more powerful in
its ability to predict diagnosis and treatment response.
- For those tested now,
we will offer significantly reduced pricing for subsequent gene
testing as additional discoveries are added to our test panel
- Clarification of diagnosis in patients with complex presentations
- Patient reassurance with state of the art testing
- Documentation of symptoms and course
- Optimized predictions of treatment response to aid in selection
- Reduction of social stigma for patients
Which Patients Will Benefit
- Patients with unclear presentation and possible bipolar disorder
- Those with depression and periods of irritability and activation
- Patients with depression and family history of bipolar disorder
- Patients with history of ADHD that now may be developing bipolar
- Patients with depression or bipolar disorder for whom you are
considering a course of SSRI antidepressant medications
with bipolar disorder who may be at risk for antidepressant induced
What Psynomics Can Do
- Psynomics can aid in making a diagnosis
- Psynomics can help predict whether SSRI medications will be efficacious
- Psynomics can help predict how vulnerable patients may be to antidepressant
- Patients can be reassured by receiving a state of
the art second opinion consultation
What Psynomics Cannot Do
- The Psynome DNA Test cannot alone make a definitive diagnosis.
A positive result only increases the probability of bipolar disorder.
This is in part why the DNA test must be interpreted in the light
of detailed clinical information.
- The Psynome DNA Test cannot rule out bipolar disorder.
- We cannot
estimate risk for developing bipolar disorder in an asymptomatic
individual. For example, we cannot determine the risk to the children
of bipolar parents using the DNA test.